Have you gone shopping and do you want to receive a VAT refund before taking your flight home? Here we tell you what you must do to get a VAT refund at Malaga Airport:
- You must go early before the flight leaves.
- You do not put your purchases in the suitcase, as you will have to show them to customs.
- Have your passport on hand.
- Have your travel documents ready (boarding pass either physical or digital)
- Fill out all tax exemption forms and make sure they are correct (previously purchased at the store in person when you purchased your merchandise)
- If you are traveling within the EU, you must obtain your tax free form stamp at the final point of exit from the EU at a specific duty free customs counter.
- You must submit your completed tax-free forms, the receipts, the passport, and rhe purchased items to obtain a stamp.
- After obtaining a stamp, you must go through the security check, go to the exchange office at the airport to get your tax refund (Next to gate D42).
Who can access Tax Free?
All travelers with habitual residence outside the EU. In addition, keep it in mind that only natural persons and not companies can benefit.
If your final destination is outside the EU, but before leaving the Community territory you are going to go through another Community Airport, it will be at that Airport where you must complete this process.
About which purchases does the Tax Free applies in Spain?
Only items purchased for personal or gift use may comply with VAT refunds. This does not include spending on leisure and services and leaves out food products.
The value of the item purchased must be greater than 90.15EUR per invoice (taxes included). This means that only those items that alone exceed that figure will be counted, never the total of items purchased in Tax Free establishments.
Finally, it is necessary that the products have been purchased 3 months before traveling. Those who make long trips or long-term stays in Spain will not be able to benefit from this.
How to receive a VAT refund at Malaga Airport
You can do this through the duty-free customs counter, located before the security control, on the right-hand side or, if you prefer, through an electronic counter.
Tax-free electronic system at Malaga Airport
Near security, there is an electronic machine where they can validate their forms. They can do it without having to go to the customs counter and thus avoid doing so. It may be faster to use this machine than waiting in line at the customs counter. Search for "DIVA" on the machine and validate your DIVA forms there. If your validation status is approved, go through security and claim your refund at the duty-free counters in the gate terminal. The exchange office at Malaga airport to receive the tax refund is located next to gate 42.
Customs counter at Malaga Airport
The Malaga airport customs counter for VAT refunds (non-EU residents) is located in Terminal 3, main floor (Floor 1) to the left of the check-in area counters 363-386. Have your forms validated here first, then go through security and claim your refund at the duty-free companies at the gate terminal. The exchange office at Malaga airport to get your tax refund is next to gate D42.
If you have found our article about how to request a VAT refund at Malaga Airport useful, do not hesitate to share our article.